Llaca School

Esta pagina en Espanol

Founders

EXMO. SR. DON FRANCISCO LLACA OTERO

He was born in Villa de Llanes, Asturias, Spain, emigrated to Cuba and settled in the city of Cárdenas, where he established himself as a businessman. In July of 1881, he was elected mayor after having served as Lieutenant Mayor. At the end of his term, the city administrators named him "Adoptive Son" of the city as a result of his work and leadership at the helm of the city and because of his construction, with personal funds, of "The Llaca School", which he donated to the city. For many years the facility served as the city's middle school. In recognition of all his activities the King of Spain bestowed upon him the Great Cross of Isabel la Católica.

He married Dña. Teresa Argudín y Núñez de Villavicencio, who had been born in Cárdenas, and with which he had three children, Francisco, Jacinto and Conchita.

----------

DR. FRANCISCO LLACA ARGUDÍN

Born in Cárdenas on July 21st, 1878, he received his early education in the Froebel School and his secondary education at the San Luis Gonzaga School, obtaining his "Bachiller" degree in "Sciences and Letters" in 1896 from the Mantanzas Institute. He immediately entered the University of Havana to study law where he obtained his Doctorate of Laws degree on June 3rd, 1902. He married Dña. Melitina Escoto Alvarez, also of Cárdenas, with which he had two sons, Francisco and Enrique.

Dr. Llaca Argudín commenced his judicial career on April 22, 1904, as an officer of the Trial Court ("Sala de la Audiencia") of Matanzas. Throughout a career spanning 30 years he held several posts as a trial judge, appellate judge, and as Magistrate in the courts of Oriente, Las Villas and Havana provinces, until being selected Chief Judge of the Criminal Division of the Trial Courts of Havana. On September 19, 1933, he was named Magistrate of the Supreme Court of Cuba, and later he also served as Chief Magistrate of the Superior Court of Elections.

He was an active journalist during various stages of his life. At the age of 21, in 1899, he was Chief Editor of the "La Crónica de Cárdenas" newspaper, of which he later became Owner and Director. He received a Diploma in Journalism from the "Manuel Marquez Sterling" School of Professional Journalism, and in 1924 he began to edit the Judicial Column of the "La Prensa" newspaper in Havana.

In 1925 he founded a law journal entitled "Repertorio Judicial" which he edited and directed until his death. He published 13 legal works during his career, all of which proved very useful to lawyers, judges and magistrates.

During his life he was a city councilman in Cárdenas, and Treasurer of the Unión Club of Havana, and participated actively in the construction of his building on the Malecón. He was a Member of Distinction in the Professional Club of Cuba and also Treasurer and First Vice-President of the National Association of Members of the Judicial Branch. At the time of his death in Miramar, Havana, on April 23rd, 1949, he was the highest ranking member of the Judicial Branch in Cuba.

[SCHOOLS]