Masthead of Havana newspaper,

HAVANA, WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 9, 1946
René Blazquez de la Grana, Correspondent

FIRST GLIDER DESIGNED AND BUILT IN CUBA FLIES IN CARDENAS

Esta pagina en espańol

In March of 1941, Eugenio Hernandez Alvarez of Cardenas, finishes his calculations and plans, and begins selecting and testing the Cuban wood that would be used in the construction of this glider. In July, 1941, construction begins, and it ends in November of 1945.


The builders: Eugenio Hernández Alvarez and Mario Ajón

In December of 1945, all flight testing required for certification and licensing by the Cuban Aeronautical Federation is done. Eugenio Hernandez Alvarez and Pedro de la Fé Flores were the test pilots. The Cuban press is informed on all the details of this glider in January, 1946.


In preparation for the press demonstration flight, from left to right, we see:
Avilio La Fé (in the car), Mario Ajón, unknown, Martin Klein, Pedro de la Fé Flores,
Eugenio Hernandez Alvarez, Luis Ramirez and Leopoldo Suarez

Pedro de la Fé Flores piloted the demonstration flight for the press, while Eugenio Hernandez Alvarez informed them on the entire process of this special flight. At one o'clock in the afternoon at the runway on the Pilderó ranch, using a special 1500 foot cord (brought from Manila and donated by Luis Ramirez), and being pulled by a Ford automobile driven by Avilio La Fé, the glider climbed to 800 feet.

Using thermal currents, the glider flew for 23 minutes over Cardenas' southern city limits, 5 kilometers from the point of takeoff, returning here without losing any altitude and making a perfect landing, thus concluding the special flight made especially for the Cuban press.


The glider during takeoff, and later, during flight.

This glider: "Primus in Cuba", was the result of Cuban and Cardenense engineering and personal innitiative.


A special thanks to Gloria Hernandez Barouse, daughter of Eugenio Hernández Alvarez, who sent us all the contents of this page.

Translation by E.J. de la Fé

Mounument to the flag built by the Arechabala company

[INDEX]